Tuesday, September 9, 2008

No Water??



Ok, so here's the story of the day. We flew back from Arizona on Sunday (more on our trip later.) Things seemed to be going wrong from the airport until we got home. Cameron was the "noisy kid" in the airport. He was so fascinated by the planes, and everytime he saw one, he thought he should let everyone else in the waiting area know. But, he did really well on the plane, so I can't complain about that. He stayed awake the entire flight, but was very quiet and wasn't very wiggly. Anyway, I fell off the shuttle bus on our way to our car. (caught myself with the suitcase, but rolled my ankle.) Then our card wouldn't read when we tried to pay for parking. Things after that were fine until we got home. It was about 9:30 p.m. and all I wanted to do was take a shower and go to sleep since I had to work the next morning. Jason went out to get the suitcases, and I turned on the water in the shower. No, let me rephrase, I turned on the faucet in the shower, but there was no water! I didn't know what was going on, so I checked the bathroom faucet. Still nothing. I started panicking. I checked the kitchen, nothing. So I told Jason and we went outside and looked around to see if there was a big gyser of water in our yard. Nothing. Checked the basement for a flood. Nothing. It was so weird. We checked and the water main was still turned on, so I called a neighbor and she said that they hadn't had any problems. I was racking my brain to figure out what it could be, and thought maybe our city billed didn't get paid, but I checked online, and it had been paid and cashed. So, I ended up calling an emergency after-hours phone number for Payson City, and some guy said they would be right out. And he was serious. He was there within about 10 minutes. He took a hammer down into our basement and banged around for a few minutes, then went out and checked our water meter, then banged downstairs again, and voila, we had water, and it was almost like nothing had happened. No loss of pressure, or anything. So we asked him what happened, and he said that on newer houses, there is a pressure gauge above the water shut off valve, and inside the gauge there is a spring. Sometimes the spring gets stuck due to hard water and sometimes it's lack of use. But if you bang on it, and knock it loose, then things work just fine. He said its not something that we need to worry about, but I thought I would share this with you, in case it ever happens to you. Needless to say, I was really ready for my shower by the time the water came on!!

No comments: